Monday 5 December 2011

McEwen Lake

  I was ready to go canoe camping again, bug season or not, this time solo. But I picked a route that I was confident I could complete. And that happened to be canoeing to McEwen Lake and back in 2 days.
  I started on Little Wren Lake with the rain coming down steady and pretty hard. I had a feeling it would
not last but I couldn't just wait it out. By the time I was paddling Black River - Upper Marsh - it stopped.
  And never rained again for the rest of the trip.


 I portaged down to Lower Marsh (after seeing the moose crossing the river) and I decided to paddle it the whole length and take a hike down to Black Lake.

  After taking few pictures I turned around and following a short paddle, portage to Horse Lake. Next was McEwen Lake,with the best site on the lake.

  After setting up camp I went down to the South-West side of Dan Lake, in the process meeting the only
other campers in the area (going for Horse Lake). I came back and hiked the portage to Three Island Lake, you see I had to keep moving to get away from all the friendly bugs.
  Back at the camp I started a small,smoky fire, had dinner and turned in at 7:30pm. I slept till 6:00am next day, which turned out to be a glorious day. Nice area, will be back sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment