Wednesday 8 August 2012

Big East River


  Too many good plans, so many factors to interfere with them... All I could pull this last long-week-end was a day trip on Big East River. Other than the drive back, everything went pretty smooth.
  I put in at the bridge on Williamsport Rd. After a short paddle up-river I turned around and continued downriver.
                                    Nice sand banks...
  The water level was very low, I had to wade a lot. It helped I was solo and on some low water areas I could still pass.

  The river had a very remote feeling, taking a break on a sand bank I was looking for signs of bears.
  At some point I took a sharp turn and I was really paying attention on the course, the river being very low in that area, when I saw it: a young bear,maybe two years old, very healthy looking, at the water's edge.
  In few jumps he climbed the very steep face beside the river,and off he went into the forest. Everything happened so fast, no time for pictures, but I was kind of giddy for a while.
Arrowhead P.P. has a viewpoint on top of the bank (in the back).
 Nice day to be outside...


No comments:

Post a Comment